July 1, 2008

Dyeing to spin and Latvian Mitt




Here's an update on the Latvian Mitt. One is done (no thumb yet). So maybe I'll have time this month to press on. I plan to do the other one, then do both thumbs last.



I'll be doing some spinning this month for the Tour de Fleece http://keeponknittinginthefreeworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/tour-de-fleece-2008.html. This is the third year for this online event. I will begin on July 5th like a "shot out of the starters gate" when I demonstrate spinning at Praire FIBRE ART Showcase. It is being held in Saskatchewan at Praire Fibre Mill and features many fibre artists. If you'd like more details on this one day event, please email Sheila, the host at themill@sasktel.net
I have a small batch of black corriedale from my ewe Sweetheart. The photo shows the little pile of rolags after blending by hand carder, combining with white corriedale dyed pink. This blend I'm calling Dad's Mix. He wore the stylish pink and black combos in the '50s.



I'm right out of prepared roving, so I've torn apart a prepared batt (also Corriedale, but this one from an old gal "Freckles"). It's somewhat course but spins real nice using long draw. I did a very pastel dye bath with orange and purple. I'll probably spin it for mittens.

The sheep have been moved out to their summer pasture. I can see them from the kitchen window. Unfortunately,I also saw a coyote on the second day they were out there. Both guard dogs and sheep have decided it's too hot and look for shade to sleep in. Their forays out to eat are short and they return to the shady as soon as possible.

5 comments:

abehap said...

Excellent Val! - glad your joining the Tour ;)

abehap said...

oh forgot to say i love the mitt - & im thinking of making myself some plain mitts with this green english leicester i dyed the other day :)

~ P ~ said...

Great job on the mitten. I'm on the Tour de Fleece also. Should be lots of fun.

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

I would not have thought of a orange purple mix but that looks beautiful, can't wait to see it spun up!

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

That mitten is just a work of art, Val! And I love the look of both the fibers and that afghan from your June 25th post - it is just beautiful!