July 21, 2008

Sun Tea Blues


Here's the next spinning project just dyed. It was an amazingly hot and sunny day. I rolled up a batt of wool to fit into a lasagna pan and poured on the dyes. I use Pro Chem, Majic Carpet or sometimes Cushings (all wool dyes from my rug hooking days), all acid dyes that require a small amount of vinegar in the dyebath. I used Blue Violet, Brilliant Blue and Orange.


I wrapped the pan in a black garbage bag and set out for 3 hot sunny hours. A lot of the blue ran off, so the dye bath was not exhausted. It takes a lot of heat to set blue, so I guess it didn't get hot enough. I rinsed till clear so it's quite a bit lighter colors than planned. But I do like it! In my haste to pour the dye on, I poured in the vertical direction rather than the horizontal. I had planned to pull off lengthways for the rovings. So I will have to make another plan for the rovings. Or dye another pan of wool!

2 comments:

abehap said...

oh but isnt it soooo pretty! love it!

abehap said...

just wanted to let you know youve been award a blog award from us.
cheers!