February 6, 2009

First Flowers


Here's my old Rosemary. She's 11 or 12 years old and is brought in every winter. Our climate is too severe to be outside. The secret of a rosemary that blooms is to create a cool but sunny winter, and mist for raised humidity (create a temperate winter climate). Some places I've lived, it hasn't been possible to supply the cool temperature, so she didn't bloom on those years.

Oh yes, amid the little mauve blossoms is my newest spin/dye project. The yarn has a ply of grey Romney and a ply of white BFL (blue faced Leicester). Both wool have length, large waved crimps and create a yarn (depending on your prep and spin) that is smooth, soft and drapey. I used some jars of leftover dyes that have waited all winter to get used. I put wet yarn in a lasagna pan, poured on colors, covered and baked for 45 minutes.

I was going to tell you the pattern that I've picked to knit this yarn into, but I'll wait until I have a photo of the newly started project.

Spring is in the air. We may be a couple months from it, but more hours of sun give us hope that spring will be here soon!

4 comments:

valli said...

lovely colours val looks very soft, spring for you and autum for us soon :)

Yarn Devil said...

Beautiful colours! Love the yarn.. and thanks for the heads up on rosemary... should I ever descide to grow some... :) I can't wait to see the started object :) I am waiting for the RRRRrroll up the rim to start! That is a sure sign spring and summer are around the corner!! At least for me.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Hi Val. I love the colors of your yarn. And your Rosemary looks delightful. I have some small Rosemary plants. Most of mine die after 2-3 years. I've never had one to bloom. I love the scent of Rosemary.
On a different note I have been trying to go to Valli's Limestone Coasties blog and it says "no longer available" I hope she is okay. I didn't think that she lived near the bush fires. I see she left a comment on your blog on the 9th. I hope she is okay.
Take care,
Phyllis

Mom said...

Hi Val!

I love the color of your yarn! It's very pretty. I can't wait to see what you are going to knit with it.

When we lived at the coast I had rosemary in my flower bed and it thrived there. I haven't tried to grow it here.

Verna