June 23, 2009

LEISURE by W.H. Davies




What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?


No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.


No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.


No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.


No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.


No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.


A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

8 comments:

Wind 'n' Woolly said...

What a beautiful poem and what gorgeous lambs.

valli said...

awwwww - too cute - slap a stamp on them Val and send them air mail to me :)

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Your little lambs are so cute, the problem is they do not stay little very long but then they turn into beautiful sheep...right...with beautiful fibre!! Take care and enjoy your summer!!

Kathryn said...

What a lovely poem and such precious lambs.

Zette said...

The lambs are so sweet.
They make me want to have some of my own...but I lack space...

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

What a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing. Those lambs are adorable!

Laney Garry said...

Your poem reminds me of the poem that our Grandmother wrote about Sask... 'the flowing furnaces of dawn, bringing to me Saskatchewan' I know I have it tucked away somewhere...and had most of it memorized at one time..probably my favourite part was about the frogs 'their cheerful tuneless melody that seems a part of Spring to me'. Not sure if you noticed my daughter has developed a love of wool and knitting...just be genetic!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a great poem mom.It's been a while since I have been to your blog, every time it gets better! Great pics!......Aimee