September 3, 2009

The Finished Loom

The loom finished and waiting for warp.


Yarn (singles) spun from Corriedale/Romney wool, awaiting weaving.





The warp yarn was spun from Romney, then plied with the Chain or Navaho technique into a 3 ply high twist yarn. Perhaps too much twist! I had to add the weight of a can of beans as it dried, in order to straighten it.



I whittled off the bark from slim willow branches, to make shed rods.

So now it is time to make a warping frame, then warp the loom.



4 comments:

valli said...

great job Val - im really looking forward to seeing your loom in action :)

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Love the finished loom, can not wait to see your progress on it, a few years ago I took this great book out of the library, many times in fact and read it about making a loom but never got one made!

Zette said...

Ooohh, a loom. It looks very nice
I love looms. Got 3 or 4 of them.
What are you going to make?
Your singles look very nice.

Johoanna said...

I love this! I've in the process of building my own Navajo loom as well. I hope you don't mind but I put a link to your blog in my blog entry and also a copy of the pic of your loom. I'm happy to take the pic down if you prefer.