March 28, 2010

Baa Black Welsh Sheep. Have you any wool?

"Do we have any wool? No sir, no sir, but you've got 3 or more bags full, after you let the shearer strip us of our fine garments!", says old Daisy, in the foreground.



I washed a small fleece from one of the yearling lambs which weighed 2.5 lbs. Here I am taking the batt of Black Welsh Mountain sheep wool off the drum carder. I haven't yet decided to spin a woolen yarn or a worsted yarn. If it's to be woolen, I'll spin from the batts that I roll off the carder. If it's to be worsted yarn, I will have to comb it and pull top through a diz! I'll decide and show you what I do with it next.

3 comments:

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Nice pictures! Those sheep and fleece really look black...are they a true black or bay black (very dark brown)in real life?

Diane T said...

Clever and funny post! Don't think I ever saw a black sheep before!

Gloria Patre said...

Shearing time - now that brings back memories! Hard to believe it's been 8 years since we sold our commercial flock!
That black fleece is beautiful! Natural black - luscious!