November 15, 2010

Thrummed Slipper Pattern Revised

 Thanks Readers for your comments and questions. What was I thinking! This pattern was given to me, so I most definately will share it with you! (sorry, theres no info as to where this pattern originated).

Photo left - looks like there's no room for a foot! With wear, the knitted-in thrums will felt down and be like an insole.

BUMPERS
(Thrummed Slippers)
Needles - 4.5mm or size that will give you a firm, but not too tight tension.

Yarn - A handspun yarn or any purchased yarn that will knit up well with size 4.5 needles. The yarn I used is handspun wool (when I wash it, I know it will felt so I knit with a looser tension). If you knit up slipper with a non-shrinking fiber, have your tension firm, but not too tight.

Thrums -  This pattern says to cut sliver or roving into 5" sections.  I used wool straight from the sheep (washed, but not carded). The staples were naturally 4.5 - 5" so I pulled off enough to make it approx. 2 or 3 times the thickness of the knitting yarn used.

PATTERN
  • Cast on 39 sts. (to obtain smaller or larger sizes, decrease or increase number of stitches by 4's).
  • Knit  one row
  • Purl  one row
  • Row 1 - *Knit 3, next stitch knit with the wool thrum* continue to end of row.
  • Row 2 - Purl row
  • Row 3- Knit row
  • Row 4 - Purl row
Continue rows 1-4 until slipper is desired length (9"-10" womens medium).

(REVISED with this 3 row DECREASE)
Row 1 - Knit 2 together across, knit last stitch
Row 2 - Purl
Row 3 - Knit 2 together across

Break yarn leaving enough to gather toestitches and sew up. Draw up remaining stitches with darning needle and sew shy of  half way towards the heel. Then  sew up back seam. An edging of crocheting can be added to the top if desired. (see the red pair below. I also added 3 thrums into the center seam to fill in the space on top of the foot).

Notes on knitting in the woolies or rovings: With wool section in right hand, fold it in half and use it to knit the stitch, in place of the main yarn. Leaving "woolie" ends at back of the work and pick up yarn and carry main color across back of work to begin knitting next three stitches . 

6 comments:

Betty said...

Thank-you for commenting on my blog, yes the yarn I used for the socks is alpaca with merino and a bit of nylon, love the mixture as it seems to stand up well, can not keep up with the orders so customers are pleased. I better get some more alpaca fibre sorted and off to the mill pretty soon for more yarn. I get it spun into two ply for the lighter weight socks and three ply for the heavier weight slipper socks. Do you have the snow that we have right now, storm came in with a vengeance last night!!

luckybunny said...

This is an awesome idea! Those look like the coziest slippers ever :)

Jody said...

Thanks Val...I will print that off for the girls :-)

Jeanne MacKenzie said...

Years ago, I made thrum socks (slippers, actually) from the Canadian Living website. I have no idea if the pattern is still there, but, after about 8 years, my husband still wears his. Mine all wore out on the bottom and have gone to slipper heaven. These slippers had a cuff, like socks.

Anonymous said...

I believe I still have that pattern somewhere in my pattern stash! You have me seriously thinking of knitting slippers for Xmas gifts to grand kids, only because they love that gramma knits!

Anonymous said...

this type of thrummed sock/slipper/mitten product comes from Newfoundland, Canada! Originated here to keep us warm and cozy even when the damp wind is blowing!