March 23, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins in March

The last of the 2010 pumpkins, before they go into the oven.
I don't often write about food. However, I wanted to post this photo taken of my dear pumpkins that have graced the top of the kitchen hutch since last October. They keep best at room temperature, so they have sat collecting dust, amidst a collection of ceramic canisters, baskets and branches of fall leaves.
After baking, they will be pureed and made into pumpkin muffins. A trip to the library yielded a book called "The Ultimate Muffin Book - More than 600 Recipes for Sweet and Savory Muffins" by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough. The recipes are in alphabetical order. For example you will find between the Pumpkin muffin between Prune muffins and Quiche Lorraine muffins. There is also tips for successful muffin making in the first chapter, with very interesting ideas that I had never considered.

Note about the photo: I'm not sure about its clarity as I am trying out my cell phone. I lost my camera in the snowstorm last evening. I had taken it with me to get some photos of wool after the evening chores. By the time I reached for the camera, it had vanished. As I re-traced my footsteps I realized the futility in this, as 8" of fresh snow had drifted into my tracks!

3 comments:

Lona said...

Nice enough photo! I am so sorry about your camera, though...

Lambing yet?

Jody said...

Oh No!(about your camera) I often take my cellphone and camera with me when I go to the barn and worry that I will lose it in a bucket of water or something.
I luv pumpkin bread (my recipe uses dried cranberries and walnuts) and I can imagine how wonderful it would taste with fresh pumpkin...yum! Do you ever give squash or pumpkin to your sheep Val?

Val at Newland Ranch said...

Thanks for comments!
I've never given the sheep pumpkin! My "worm farm" and chickens win the bits of veggie scraps in the winter.
I looked for the camera where ever I bent over - pails of water, pails of oats, dog dishes, cat dishes, auto-waterers!

Lambing starts around April 21 (Good Friday).